Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Beach time! ....

 We are within walking distance of the beach (around 20 minutes walking Owen's pace) and it is probably the most beautiful beach I have ever been on.  The sand is amazing, the views are incredible and the water is pretty warm.  We've had unreasonably warm weather here in Spain since we've gotten here and got the first week of RAIN to go away, so we've taken advantage of that three different times and hit the beach.  We know the weather will get cooler soon, so we will go see sites then when we cannot enjoy the amazing beach.
 
It has been fun to watch the kids get used to the ocean.  The first day they would barely get their feet wet and run away from the loud crash of the waves.  Yesterday, all 4 of them got taken out by a wave and got right back up and tried again.  I was playing with Jenna once and she got swept under and she said she twirled while she was under there, which I totally believe because I turned around to help her stand up and couldn't see her for a few seconds while the waves met.  She was okay, but glad the waves went away quickly so she could stand back up.
 
Anthony has really enjoyed learning how to jump/dive through the waves and thinks it is funny that I won't join him on his adventure.  I'd rather have it crash through me or me be on the other side enjoying the swells than try to dive through them.  He does a good job though!  He has also completely enjoyed the boogie board with Jake.  He has gotten to ride quite a few good waves and ate it big time too a few times.  Yesterday when he jumped through a wave, there was one right behind it too that literally picked him up and then pounded him down to the ground.  He had goggles on and when he stood up he only had one strap on still, he was lucky they didn't fall off.  He coughed a little and went right back out!  Silly kids.
 
Jake has caught quite a few nice waves on the boogie board too.  Me?  I'd rather play in the sand or jump the little waves with Owen. Either way, we all have lots of fun on the beach and have great tan lines to show just how long we've spent there!

 The waves yesterday were so different than we've had the other times we have gone down to the beach. They broke ALL at the same time instead of gradually and were quite a bit larger than the other ones we've seen.  The above picture shows just how big they were when they hit.  This one knocked Jenna (who is right behind me, in my shadow) right down.  Owen thought it was great that he jumped the big one with Mom.
 
The picture below is the way we walk to the beach and count how many lizards we can see!  There are seriously SO many.  It truly is a beautiful world.



1 comment:

Jeannine H. said...

Wow, that is gorgeous. Look at that sand! I don't think I've ever seen a beach with such nice, smooth sand!