Thursday, February 14, 2008

It's Thursday---indexing day!

I didn't know anything about indexing, so I thought i'd pass on the information to those of you who might be interested in enjoying the blessings of helping ancestors be known. Here is the story behind where I learned about it~


It was the fifth Sunday and therefore a combined Sunday School lesson. I wasn't too excited about it because a lady was 'teaching' it that I didn't really enjoy. I wasn't listening very well until the spirit prompted me to listen up. I had the feeling I was going to know the answer to a question I had been searching for. WOW!! Did I start listening :). She told us about the spirit of Elijah and how we could help in these days. I had been praying for a way to help the church and serve right from my home a few hours/minutes a week. As you all know, we are all super busy with children and can't go out and serve as easily, but from the home...I can do that. She told us about familysearchindexing.com and asked us to participate. Our stake has a goal to index 1 million names by the end of the year. I wanted to help. In my patriarchal blessing I am admonished to do geneology work and I always wondered how and when I was going to get that done. This is my answer. It is quick, easy and actually quite FUN. You can register as a volunteer and download images the church has gathered and enter in names, ages, sex, and birth places. It is an amazing work and I have felt inspired to do it. I am so grateful to know that my prayers were answered and I am able to serve right from my computer. This is not limited to church members, you can do it even if you aren't. We are just helping people so they can find their ancestors and continue the genealogy trail. Please let me know if you have questions! I'd love to help.

1 comment:

Bartons said...

I think it is awesome you have an indexing day. I am trying to get my 2000 names done for the trek. Little by little, right?