Monday, August 25, 2008

Harvesting...

It is so rewarding to know that when you plant a seed in the ground at the beginning of summer, you can water it and take care of it and it will produce something for you at the end of the summer! Such an amazing concept!

We have been blessed to have great friends and family help us with produce that hasn't grown or didn't fit in our all too small garden. My dad's apricot tree produced so many apricots, he couldn't eat them all, so we were lucky enough to take some home. Jake, Anthony, Jenna and I made apricot jam out of them. It was the first time I had made real jam, not just freezer jam and all of the lids sealed but one! We wanted to eat one right away anyway, so it worked out great! It was a fun thing to do! Thanks Dad!

I have also gotten to can green beans from my friend's garden. They were so nice to teach me how. I've never done them before! It is great to supply my food storage 'store' downstairs with fresh produce! Thank you Bartons and Jones!!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is one of my most favorite times of the year because we get to eat such yummy things! Aren't those green beans delicious? I am so thankful that my dad grows so much so he can share with me!! That apricot jam looks delicious :)

Arizona Nielsens said...

Way to go... you'll be eating like kings for quite a while. There's nothing better than homegrown food!

The Oatmeal girl said...

Great job doing your own canning, YOU ROCK! thx for all your comments on my blog, I really need to be a better friend and comment, so here you go, your blog is so fun and I read it all the time, so keep it going!!

Becky said...

MMMMM fresh garden foods!!!

Janelle said...

Looks like fun! I bet that jam is yummy, those apricots were so delicious!