Here we go again, another first today. We went to church. What a crazy, yet amazing, experience. We only got lost once this time and it wasn't even really lost, just drove past the entrance but so many of the streets are one-way, we had to go up turn around, pass it again, turn around and finally got there. We got another friendly honk showing us the way. We must have a very lost look on our faces when we are going places. Or we have angels watching over us, or both!
We walked in and it was great! The missionaries were there, both sisters and elders so it was nice to have someone to talk to in English. A very nice sister from Utah helped the kids go into primary and told them she would translate for them so they actually went into a very little primary. Anthony was beaming after, Jenna looked like she wanted to cry or bite someones head off and Lydia was attached to the sister missionary who she thought was so nice! Jake and I sat in the combined Relief Society and Preisthood meeting(it was ward conference) and tried to pick out words until an elder came and asked me if I wanted a translator. I gladly accepted. The stake president gave a great lesson about having Christ like characteristics and staying away from the spirit of contention. After that, we were going to go to Sunday School but Owen wanted to go play with toys so I decided to take him into the nursery. He wouldn't let me leave, so I stayed in there and played with him. I met a very nice lady who is Italian-American who is stationed here right now. It was nice. The little grandma who was in there taking care of the kids spoke no English but loved little Owen. He wasn't too sure about her, but he did well in playing with the toys and singing the songs they had playing on the CD player. I love that the church is the same everywhere!
After that it was time for sacrament meeting. Owen immediately asked where my friend Celeste was, as he loves her and Tyson and usually sits with them at sacrament meeting. It was funny! A different elder said he would translate for me so that was very nice. The Relief Society President gave a great talk about how we should do our visiting teaching and I laughed and said to myself, even that is the same in Italy! It was a very nice meeting. Several people spoke with us after and during, but not as many spoke English as I thought would. It was an amazing experience knowing that we all had the same thing in common. The gospel of Jesus Christ. His love is felt all over the world and even when you don't know what the language is being spoken, the spirit can still speak to you and testify of truth.
After church was over, we got to come back home to Orange Park and just enjoy each others company. We had a great time playing and being together as a family. I really could get used to this!
2 comments:
It is comforting to know you always have friends at the local Church. It's also nice to have someone translate for you.
Dad
That's pretty neat! I remember my first Sunday in Finland and how relieving it was to have some sense of familiarity. :)
Post a Comment