We are so lucky! Mt. Etna erupted again! Almost everyone we have talked to said we wouldn't get to see it again after the little one the other night. When we were down at the beach, I saw smoke coming from the mountain side and wondered if it would erupt again. Not sure of when it would happen, I told Jake about it when we got home. So, after we got to Skype with my parents (love technology), Jake looked out the window and said (again), I think it is erupting. Sure enough! It was, but from a different location. This time it was from a different area of the volcano. Apparently it has many places the lava can come from. It was a lot larger this time. It was close to dinner time so we had to stick around, but right after dinner we got the kids in the car and drove up to see it closer. The eruptions into the sky had stopped, but the lava was still flowing. It was really cool. We drove up SO high onto the mountain that when we opened the windows we could smell the burning, but not close enough to feel it being too hot ;). It was a beautiful site. Not something you get to see too many times in your life and we got to see it twice!
It is super hard to get a good picture in the dark of flowing lava, but the one below is the best we could get. At least it stirs up a memory for us. The kids thought it was super cool to see lava coming from the mountain. I think Anthony liked it the best and was so good and helpful. He told Jake "Thanks for taking us up so high to see the lava". It was cute. They got to bed late because of it, but I hope it was worth it in their little minds.

1 comment:
I'm glad you got to see it again. I still remember the one in Guatemala. The kids will certainly remember seeing it.
Post a Comment