I am not really sure how many times this question went through my head, that paired with "What was I thinking? I should have stayed home." It was a very crazy few days. Now that we are mostly settled, things are amazing, but boy was it hard to get passed the first few days of craziness.
Saturday morning we got up and went and had breakfast at the hotel. Another non-English speaking person was there to help us. It is amazing how we can communicate with each other by the limited words we know in Italian and gestures. Breakfast was yummy. We had omelets and our choice of breakfast cakes with fresh fruit. I could get used to that!
Then, off we went on our next 3 1/2 hour drive to the island of Sicily. It went by quick with all the new things to look at. We were very blessed when we got to the ferry station to find a person to help us get a ticket for the ferry and then a very nice person honked at us and showed us the right direction to where we should go. No the first time we have been honked at, but certainly the first helpful honk! We felt blessed to be where we needed to be! We then drove onto the ferry, which was pretty cool. We took the kids up to the top deck so they could see out and feel the sea breeze. It was about a 20 minute ferry ride.
Once we got off there, the scenery changed quite a bit. It was like we had been driven to a more tropical island type place. Much more green! It was kind of a dreary day but it was still very pretty.
We got to Orange Park, our home-away from home without even getting lost! It is beautiful. Our little house has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and a nice little kitchen. It is perfect. The best part about it is the unlimited oranges, the green grass, the chickens, little puppy and okay, just about everything. It is truly amazing.
After settling in a bit we decided to go get groceries so we didn't have to on Sunday. Oh boy! After getting lost twice, a what should have been a 3 minutes drive, turned into about a 30 minute drive. We had to be back in time for dinner at 6:30, so we had to rush through the market place. It was NUTS. I didn't know what was good, what was icky, what anything was or what I should get. I think I said to myself, what am I doing here about 100 times. We tried to pick out things that looked yummy and got a few familiar things with name brands too. It was CRAZY! The cashier spoke no English so that was a treat too. It is funny how you can communicate with a different person so differently, some are easier to "talk" to and others not so much.
Whew, we made it through another first. Hopefully the next time will be much easier. We got home just in time for dinner, which was yummy! Antipasta dish, some tomato pasta, mushroom chicken with fries and fresh fruit for dessert. It was amazing!
No comments:
Post a Comment