Oh, I am so lucky! At Orange Park, the owner is Giuseppe and his wife Troudy are so kind. I had asked them to teach me how to cook something and they were nice enough to say yes. To say I learned to cook something is probably not exactly the right words because I couldn't go home and make what they taught me to because they used their tomato "salsa" that they can themselves in the summer and they don't have a recipe for it, of course! But it was so wonderful to sit and talk with these people, learn their stories and try to help them learn some English words and they teach me some Italian words. It is amazing to be in a whole different normal than what I am used too. We made "drowned broccoli" and it was super yummy, even with the anchovies he put in there. I never thought I'd say THAT! In Sicilian dialect, broccoli is Jume. It was our word of the day!
I had the girls hair in french braids and Troudy and the secretary here, Stephania, thought it was the coolest thing...made me feel good! They also thought my kids were so well behaved (which they were super good at that moment in the day). Troudy asked me what kind of reverse psychology I was using to get them to be so good. It made me laugh. What fun memories!
No comments:
Post a Comment