Monday, February 24, 2014

Herculaneum Ercolano...


 This is the less famous of the 2 cities that Mt. Vesuvius' eruption covered and destroyed in its huge eruption in 79 AD.  They actually didn't find this site until the 1800s.  They say that this was the resort type town for the rich Roman's who dwelt in Pompeii.  It was a very interesting experience to go and see so much of their town intact.  Every time I go to these places, I wish I could travel back in time and see how amazing they were in their time.  Just from what is left of their ornate decorations and huge pillars you can tell that it would have been quite a site to see.  I think the Roman's, had it right though and now on my wish list for my house is a huge garden right in the middle of all my rooms and mosaics adorning my floor!  HAHAHA!!

 The picture above is some of the original wood.  When the eruption happened, a gas came through the town first and immediately preserved all of these sorts of things.  There was even a loaf of bread that they found still intact.

 The floor the kids are standing on is made of all mosaic pieces, you'd never know it by looking at the picture though!
 We took refuge from the downpour of rain in this little tunnel.  When we first went down to the bottom to wait it out there was no water coming through the tunnel, not 3 minutes into waiting it out there was a HUGE stream coming through.  I could not believe how much water was draining out of the city, right to where we were. Lesson learned to not take refuge at the bottom of a tunnel where the run off is designed to go :).
While they were excavating the site they were surprised to not find very many bones of people, thinking they had been smarter than the people of Pompeii and actually fled the volcano, but once they hit the dock yard where the ancient sea was, they found all the people there, waiting for the boats to come and rescue them.  Quite sad, actually.  Not a way I would choose to die that is for sure.

Another cool place to cross of our list of amazing places we have seen.  The world is full of amazing places!

1 comment:

Jeannine H. said...

So cool. It is awesome that things were preserved so well! I'll put this on my list of places to visit someday! :)