Two days ago we had what I would say was a typical day for an Italian city dweller. It was quite an eye opening experience for me. When Jake got home from work we headed down to the park with the kids. After they played for a while we headed down to the local gelato shop, where we were greeted by a very welcome man (I would guess the owner). We sat in the outside 'tent' and enjoyed our gelato. As we were getting ready to leave, he tried to get Owen to give him a high-five but he was being shy. The nice guy rubbed his head, then ran in and grabbed Owen a sucker. Owen was SO excited when he gave it to him. It was cute. The Italians love little kids.
Then, we walked down the street a little further to the grocery store. Got what we needed and headed back home carrying our groceries. It was interesting to think that this is what a lot of people know and the ONLY thing they know. They don't know our wide open spaces in Idaho, they don't know our kids can just get on their bikes and ride down to their friends house, we can head to a park that has grass that the kids can run around on, the soccer fields are made of grass not just a court. It made me appreciate the wide open spaces we take for granted where we live. I love having a yard of my own, somewhere I can plant a garden if I want and somewhere I can send my kids outside to enjoy the amazingly beautiful place we live in.

No comments:
Post a Comment