I am just going to say this again, but WOW. I was in awe the entire time we were here at Capua. The gladiator arena was quite amazing. It had two stories in a few places and was said to be 3 stories high in its time. I cannot even imaging how incredible that would have been to see (I guess I will see it once we get to Rome and see the Colosseum). This is where they say Spartacus fought. It was an amazingly beautiful day too which was nice considering our very rainy outing the last Saturday! We just let the kids run around and play and collect flowers and just enjoy being outside while the adults took in the amazing structure we were by. I think the kids have seen enough Roman ruins to last them awhile :).
We headed down into the staging area of the arena, underneath what would have been the dirt floor that they fought on. It was incredible. The work and engineering that went into making these structures is awe inspiring. Jake made the comment that it is so much like our arenas now..football, soccer, et cetera...and once he said that you could really see the similarities. The Roman's were very smart people!
There was a little museum on site that had two rooms that showed a few gladiator items and then a reconstruction of what it would have been like back in its glory. We also found out that this was one of the biggest gladiator arenas made by the Romans and that after our tour of Italy we will see 4 of the 6 known arenas. Pretty cool! Something I never thought I would see, but is truly amazing!







No comments:
Post a Comment