Thursday, March 20, 2014

Venice...


 I never thought I would get to go back to Venice.  What a truly unique city.  There is nothing quite like the feeling of Venice in all the other places I have visited.  We took the vaporetta (water bus) from the beginning of Venice down to St. Mark's square.  The kids completely enjoyed every  minute (oh wait, so did Jake and I).  It is fun to see the city go by from a boat and see all the boat taxies, the delivery boats and even the boat garbage man.  Fun! 


 Once we got to St. Mark's square we decided to give the kids a little break before we went into the church and 'played' with the pigeons.  I thought the kids would just chase them around but they wanted to feed them so we got out a package of crackers.  I had no idea what we were getting into!  The pigeons would just fly up to you and land on your arm/hand/head and eat whatever was there.  It was quite shocking, but we had quite a bit of fun and giggles!  The kids thought it was great.  We tried to get pigeons on all 3 of the kids heads at the same time but it didn't work out.  We also had about a million pictures taken of us during our fun with the pigeons.  I never knew just how many pictures would be taken of us as the subject on our time here in Italy.  We are quite the site apparently.  Owen's line of defense was the stroller.  The pigeons were not super afraid of us so he wasn't so sure about running up to them, but with the stroller in front of him he was fearless!



 
The pictures of the day in Venice just do not give the city justice.  It was a cloudy overcast, foggy day so it is much prettier in person!  St. Mark's is a site to see too.  The church is so ornately decorated with gold lined tiles, statues, mosaics and the like.  It was neat to walk through it again. 

After we got a bite to eat we headed out on the water bus to see the island of Murano in hopes of seeing some glass blowing!

1 comment:

Jeannine H. said...

I love this! Something as simple as feeding pigeons creating so much happiness! My kids would love it!