I have never been more excited to go site seeing than I was on Thursday. I needed out of the apartment we are staying in and out of the city. I would never make it as a city girl. We decided that we were going to head down to Paestum, about an hour and 45 minutes from here to see the Roman temples that are down there. They are in the top numbers of well preserved ones in the world. The one was especially neat. Before we went to the actual scavi site, we hit up the museum and it was neat. There were a lot of things that they found at the excavation site most cool was the recent (1968) found tombs that still had the actual paintings on them. They were incredible. Very neat. It is one of the only decorated frescoes with humans on them. This city was actually forgotten for centuries. They discovered it while they were making a highway/road through this area. What a discovery...
After the museum we stopped for lunch and of course chose pizza! The pizza here in Naples is really yummy! It is the birthplace of pizza and I can understand why. We actually thought this was the best pizza we have had since being here. The area of Paestum is famous for their mozzarella cheese made from water buffalo! What? Who knew? We got a pizza with that and buffalo salami and it was amazing. I had the pizza with artichoke, olives, mushrooms, ham and cheese and it was yummy too! Owen almost ate the whole cheese pizza by himself...what he didn't eat *the crust* Lydia was happy to devour. She even walked out with a bunch in her hand to eat as she went. Cuties! Yum! We'd go there just to eat the pizza again.
This kid loves to play in the dirt, don't mind the amazing temples we are there to see. Give Owen a rock/stick and some dirt and he is happy!
If you look at the picture below, you can see all the squares that would have sat in the picture above up high on the temple. Very neat to be able to see what they would have looked like.
Just walking where there was once an ancient city and its people living their lives and enjoying the beautiful world!



1 comment:
Cool!
Post a Comment