Friday, March 28, 2014

Siena...

 On our way back to Rome, we decided to drive through Siena to see the piazza there to break up the drive and eat lunch.  So glad we did. We had a great little visit.  We drove to the parking garage and walked up the steep hill about 150 yards to discover the AWESOME escalators.  They were a saving grace. We never would have made it up the hill with the kids.  It was steep!  The city is way up the mountain.  I think we took about 8 or 9 of these escalators.  The kids thought it was great!  We then headed to the Duomo to take in just how beautiful it was.  It is amazing the work they put into these churches!

After a quick glance at the Duomo we decided to walk down to the Piazza del Campo and see if we could find a dry place to eat lunch as it had just rained.  Once you walk into this square, it is quite awesome!  It really isn't a square I guess, more of an oval.  They actually hold horse races in this place with someone from each part of the city representing their area.  They bring in sand and lots of people come to watch.  I've heard it is pretty amazing to see!  I can only imagine.  We pulled it up on youtube and watched it while we were eating our lunch, that counts right?




 The kids have certainly been amazing this trip.  We have put them through so much and made them walk SO much.  I wish I would have worn a pedometer during this trip to see how much we have walked, I'm sure we would be surprised just how much we have walked!  It is funny the things the kids pick up on while we are out and about and how they incorporate it into their play. Now when we are back home and they are playing games, we will frequently hear them 'sell' stuff to each other and it is always ---Euro!  Or when they are playing they will go visit museums, or piazzas or be tour guides or what not.  This little picture of them with their umbrellas held high is them being the leader of a tour group.  They hold it up so the people behind them don't get lost.  So cute.  I hope the kids will not soon forget all the little things they have learned here in Bella Italy!

1 comment:

The Oatmeal girl said...

Your kids are just so cute! I love the tidbits you add of how they are learning there!